Monday, July 18, 2011

Between the Notes

Lying here on my bed with the internet radio from my iPod on its docking station playing, the soft and clear sound of the piano echoing in the room… I felt, each note, each keystroke, each pedal clear and shift, each harmony major or minor, every sound of the music sinking into my heart; the sensation when you know that you are not only listening to the sound… but being part of it, let it touching your soul and guiding your thoughts. I closed my eyes, but I couldn’t clear my mind this time… in fact, something that a great friend of mine mentioned have really struck me today, and the pure and innocence of the piano have reminded me of that even more.

Over the past year or so, I have been in a constant struggle to keep up with my life. I have been in a state of depression, lost and confused about what I really want and what I wish to do or to become. My thoughts were chaotic, and were often in fragments. I felt completely separated from the world. I still went to school and spend time with my friends, but I was never into anything. It was mere impossible for me to concentrate on one single task and get it done perfectly. That made me even more depressed and one thing adds to another, I became somewhat anti social and I felt completely lost of reasons of life. It was truly a sad time but I’m not here to talk about my failures, no, I’m here to talk about something that’s special, something that helped me through all the difficult times. It’s truly a good companion, a true friend that never left my side, comforting my soul with every gentle note it makes, the soft and clear sound, the acoustic reverb, the never ending sustain echoes the last note of each piece.

My good friend Wake Seven on Facebook, who is also known as Symphonica7 on Youtube, by many, has reminded me of something that I have never really thought about. I have been through many ups and downs in the past while. Things happen one after another; friends come and go due to many different reasons. But one friend that have always been there for me… every time I come home, feeling stressed and depressed by all that’s happened, feeling lost in this cruel world, I seek my escape in music, and my piano have always been there to calm me and comfort my soul.

I have never really thought of it but Wake said something that reminded me of how much music means to me, he made me realize how much I truly appreciate my piano and how I truly appreciate all those hard practicing and lessons which taught me everything I know about music now. My piano have always being there with me no matter how I felt. I was never alone even when I felt so… no, because my piano was there with me. We communicated through music, the touch of a key and the sound echo through sustain. Every time I play a piece, we were communicating. Every song, every expression I put into a piece, my piano will understand and in return it will comfort me with its soft and clear sound. So when ever I’m feeling down and depressed, all I have to do is sit down, turn on the power, and play a piece, then all my problems will be washed away by the music rushing through me. Clearing your mind to nothing but the sound of the piano, it’s a feeling of pure relaxation… it is breath taking.

This sentimental feeling is very hard for many to understand. In fact many would call it ridiculous and totally illogical. “It’s just a piano, a man made object that is known as an instrument. How can it possibly communicate?” Well… granted that it is a man made object, an assembly of parts. But that’s like saying that we are made of bone and flesh, merely chemicals and fiber tissues. An instrument won’t “talk” to you unless you “talk” to it. The reason I used quotation marks on the word “talk” is because for obvious reasons it’s not really talking but yet it is a form of communication and the only language is music. It’s like when you were little, you and your best childhood friend spend almost every moment together, sharing the happy experiences together and crying over sad things together. You can’t really explain why you are so attached to that person, but you just are. It’s sort of the same with an instrument. A musician treats his or her instrument as if it’s their best friend, some even more intimate than friends. You spend all your time practicing, making beautiful music together, but also make mistakes together. You press the wrong key, and it will no mistakenly respond with a “wrong” note. Over a long time, as the musicians experience increases, he or she will be more experienced with the instrument and thus be more familiar with it as well. That will form an intimate, sentimental bond between the person and the object. You will become more dependent on the instrument. You won’t be able to happily get through the day without even hearing the sound of it. Also, to personify the instrument, it communicates back to the musician through the sound that it makes.

This topic can get quite philosophical. It will also get into human psychology and the odd behavior that tends to personifies every object with in view. Frankly I don’t really care about the very reason why I’m sentimentally attached to my piano. All I know is that, I can’t live without it. Music is where I escape the everyday life to, just relax and clear my mind; let the music take control of my thoughts. It calms me and gives me confidence to deal with other complications that may come. Essentially music is my shield, my guardian angel if you will. And every time I play something on my piano, it feels like as if it’s talking back to me. It’s communicating with my soul through music. It’s a truly mysterious and yet comforting feeling. And it brings back the memories that you have forgotten that it’s in your mind, making you remember them once more and further more appreciates the time gone by and look forward to the time yet to come.

Do not underestimate the power of music, and appreciate your instrument. The next time you pick up your instrument, or sit in front of it. Just think… think about the many good times you have shared together. The time spent practicing, the joy when a piece comes together; the joy of cheerful moments, and the tears of sad times. Just think about why you have chosen this instrument, this particular one and how have it changed your life. Does it bring you happiness? Does it make you feel appreciated? Does it make you feel satisfied? And the most important of all, does it make you feel comforted. Then you play a song, a song that you knows best, because that’s most likely the song that you spent most of the time together with your instrument, practicing and perfecting every little detail until you are satisfied of the feeling that it brings. You will appreciate your instrument much more as you will look at it in a different way. It won’t be just another instrument, another tools you use to make sounds then connects into a song. No it will be much more… a friend, a companion, an inseparable part of your life that will always keep the music alive in your heart and soul.

Therefore I dedicate this blog to all those believers, those who truly understands what I mean and feels equally attached to their instruments as I do, maybe even more than me.
May you find peace in your musical journey.

God blessed us with such an amazing gift known as music. It’s only fair that we even attempt to understand it and communicate with the mysterious powers with in it.


PS: Thank you Wake Seven for making me reflect and finally realize what my piano really means, what music really means to me. And also thank you for teaching me, guiding me through my music recording experience, spending the time teaching someone that have almost no experience at all in the field. You are a true friend, a big brother more like. Thank you very much and god blesses you always.

No comments:

Post a Comment